Monday, March 23, 2009

Sea Stories

Since my fathers death, many people have reached out to my mother, brother, sisters, and me to express their condolences. One extremely positive thing that has struck me is how much my father was liked. Sure, he had is friends from the Navy that we saw often through out the years, but my mother keeps receiving notes (cards and emails) from folks that we barely knew talking about my father in such a way that makes me proud. As a kid, your dad is always just that, your dad. You never really see them as anything else. Since Pa's death, I have learned more about his life than I did in the 45 years I spent with him. I have even read notes from former Navy sailors confirming stories Pa used to tell. It sure is refreshing to know that his sea stories were true, not just myths.